This is the eastern section of Via Emilia and a very recommended path for a shopping stroll through the city center; starting from Piazza del Monte, facing Palazzo del Monte di Pietà, on your left you will find a long, usually busy street, where people go window-shopping and relaxing under a portico, sitting at some cozy café’s table.
However, lining on the two sides of Via Emilia San Pietro there are also some very interesting historical buildings: Palazzo Spalletti-Trivelli (formerly Guicciardi): restructured by the architect GiovanMaria Ferraroni in the 18th century, this building is now the prestigious seat of the Credito Emiliano bank, whose institution has gathered into the building’s halls a very interesting collection of Emilian paintings including “Ecce Homo” by Guido Reni, the “Cimmerian Sibyl” by Guercino, and the “Deposition” by Alessandro Tiarini. The Trivelli family, producers of precious silk also owning the next building, used the house to host VIPs and princes coming to Reggio, consider that even Napoleon slept in here during his staying in Reggio! To increase the already high value of the building, major archeological remains of the Roman town were uncovered here during restructuring works, some of them even dating back to the establishment of the city in 175 BC.
Palazzo Fontanelli-Sacrati: This large building in two blocks presents an elegant 15th century façade, but also in the courtyard an unexpected treasure is concealed: a 16th century marble well creates an extremely harmonic combination with the loggia and portico, an eye-pleasing space adorned with plants and flowers.
Church of Ss. Pietro e Prospero and cloisters: It dates back to the 12th century but it was reconstructed by Guido dalla Torre at the end of the 16th century.
The façade is by Pietro Armani (1782) and the interior is a fine example of Emilian baroque, but the most interesting part of the complex is probably constituted by the cloisters: the small one(1524-25) is a true masterpiece by Bartolomeo Spani, with Brunelleschi references and a portico featuring elegant Renaissance proportions whereas the big one (1580), by Prospero Pacchioni, is an expression of Mannerism, with statues in cotto displayed between the windows in the upper row.
The cloisters complex used to be a monastery but it was turned into a military state property. Nowadays is not only housing the Cavalry Service Historical Hall, but it is also a marvelous frame for important artistic events and performing shows.
“Arco Del Follo”: this monument adorned with neoclassical relief was erected in 1805 in honor of Napoleon’s visit to Reggio frames the access to Via del Follo.